Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), Kenya chapter, was approved on March 30, 2020, by the Networks Strategy Council. The chapter is hosted by two institutions: Moi University (Centre for Public Sector Reforms) and University of Nairobi (Institute of Diplomacy and International Studies), both domiciled in Kenya.
Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the inaugural Kenyan SDGs Summit of the chapter was postponed to a later date. This summit is expected to be Kenya’s first high-level multi-stakeholder forum to advance national implementation of the SDGs. The two-day summit themed “Strengthening Stakeholders’ Capacities to Contribute to the Implementation and Follow Up of the 2030 Agenda” will bring together 50 leaders and decision-makers from across all sectors to build a common understanding of the opportunities of the SDGs and how they could be put into practice in Kenya.
SDSN Kenya aims at fostering global SDSN activities within Kenya by developing and promoting solutions, policies and public education in three phases and in line with its three broad objectives as follows:
- Phase 1 (2020 - 2022): Awareness creation, sensitization and resource mobilization
- Promoting the understanding of SDGs and their linkage to the national and local planning frameworks.
- Engagement of local actors in the implementation process.
- Identification and mobilization of potential sources of resources required to achieve the SDGs by 2030.
- Phase 2 (2022 - 2025): Mainstreaming and localization of SDGs
- Identification of specific mechanisms, processes and tools for effective implementation and monitoring.
- Contextualization of the 17 SDGs to make them suitable to national and county realities.
- Promoting multi-stakeholder partnerships to inspire the SDG implementation process in transforming global commitments into local action and to ensure that the progress draws on the actions of local governments and galvanizes participation from all actors in the society.
- Crusading for local economic development to ensure that the local communities in Kenya see concrete dividends of the SDGs.
- Phase 3 (2025-2030) Acceleration of SDGs implementation process
- Implementation of relevant projects towards attainment of vision 2030.
- Monitoring and evaluation of projects to ensure that the country remains on course towards the achievement of the SDGs by 2030.